About Roo Idea Jump
This competition is open to all full- and part-time, for-credit, undergraduate and graduate UMKC students. Only students may present the plan to judges during the competition on campus, and the concept/venture must demonstrate student management and ownership.
Individuals may submit a concept, however entrepreneurship teams are encouraged. Teams should not exceed 5 people. Successful entrepreneurs surround themselves with talented people when running a successful business. Students are encouraged to find a partner to help them develop their idea and to round out their management team.
Sign up now (button?) 0
- Concept Qualifications: The Roo Idea Jump is for new, independent student ventures in the concept stage or seed stage. Generally excluded from entry are the following: buy-outs, expansions of existing companies, real estate syndications, tax shelters, franchises, and licensing agreements for distribution in the local market. The licensing of UMKC technologies or research that has not been previously commercialized is encouraged. Teams or individuals may submit only one idea for the competition.
- Attendance: Representatives from teams chosen as finalists must attend the Roo Idea Jump finalist presentation event
- Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download submission guidelines (PDF)
- Download oral presentation guidelines for finalist teams (PDF)
Prizes and Awards
This year’s competition features up to $5,000 in prizes and awards. The Roo Idea Jump Competition is graciously supported by the Regnier Family Foundations and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation. All awards will be announced at the finalist event.
- $250: Finalists Award – Each of the four finalist teams will receive $250
- $500: People’s Choice Award – The audience will vote for the best idea. The award will be distributed proportional to the number of votes each idea receives.
- $1,500: Judges Award – Each of the three judges will have $500 they can award however they would like. This means each judge could choose to award it all to one team or divide it evenly amongst all teams, or anywhere in between.
Note: This competition primarily is intended for UMKC students. Thus, funds will only be paid out to team members who are full- or part-time, for-credit, undergraduate or graduate UMKC students enrolled during the current semester.
Note: Funds will be applied to your UMKC student account after filling out the necessary paperwork. It may take several weeks for the funds to hit your student account.